I have been following the musical career of David Bowie since before some of my readers were born. NO, really.
Beginning with the complex lyrics and haunted refrains of his first real best selling album, “The Man Who Sold the World” David Bowie has fascinated a devoted cult following of fans around the world for more than 35 years. I am among that glorious club of music lovers who adore the man, and I am WOWED that he’s released a new single. Anything written by Bowie is usually the Godiva Chocolate of new pop music releases. The new music video is no disappointment.
The ever lean and handsome Thin White Duke has aged gracefully. Although he is older now, he is a creative master recording /visual artist and still knows how to make an artistic statement that astounds.
David Bowie’s music videos almost always actually say something, as opposed to just flashing signs and symbols for the elite and writhing for mere sex-selling appeal.
As an entire generation of 1970s and 1980s glam rockers now cross into their sixties and address their own mortality, [ along with their legions of fans] Bowie dares to address his own issues around growing older, seeking serenity and sanity, and coping with a global culture of “star worship” that takes the emulation of celebrities to hideously high and low extremes.
The confrontation between his young near-perfect knock-off and his sedate older self is the central theme in his new music video “The Stars Are Out Tonight.” Enjoy, but don’t be eating anything while you watch this. It might take the appetite away just a wee bit.
The Man Who Sold The World, 1971:
- iTunes Stream David Bowie’s ‘The Next Day’ Ahead Of Release; What Do People Think? (contactmusic.com)
- David Bowie, ‘The Stars (Are Out Tonight)’ — Video (spinner.com)
- Andrej Pejic stars in David Bowie’s latest music video! (manbehindthecurtain.ie)
- Watch: David Bowie Shares Video for New Song “The Stars (Are Out Tonight)” (pitchfork.com)
- New David Bowie – Hear ‘The Next Day’ Today! [Full Album Stream] (wxrt.cbslocal.com)
- David Bowie Returns (moejackson.com)
- David Bowie unveils new single The Stars (Are Out Tonight) (telegraph.co.uk)
- WATCH: New David Bowie Video – The Stars (Are Out Tonight) (thequietus.com)
- LISTEN: Hear David Bowie’s New LP The Next Day In Full! (thequietus.com)